What is a variance?

A variance is relief granted from the Town Zoning Code by the Town of McCandless Zoning Hearing Board. To initiate a variance, an application (Zoning Hearing Board Procedure (PDF)) must be completed and submitted to the Zoning Office with a check in the amount of $200 for R-1 and R-2 zoned districts, $250 for all other zoning districts. The applicant must present evidence that the criteria specified in the application are met in order for the Zoning Hearing Board to grant a variance. Meetings take place on the 4th Wednesday of every month.

The Town must receive all required information and fees thirty days prior to the date of the hearing. The Town will advertise the hearing and give the applicant a placard, which is to be conspicuously placed on the property in question at least fifteen days prior to and up to the date of the hearing. The hearing will be held at the McCandless Town Hall, 9955 Grubbs Road, and all relevant testimony will be taken. If a decision is not rendered immediately following the conclusion of testimony, a future date of the decision will be announced. The decision of the Zoning Hearing Board may be appealed to the Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas within thirty days of the date of the decision. For more information, please visit the Zoning Hearing Board page.

Show All Answers

1. Am I allowed to keep chickens?
2. How do I know what my property is zoned?
3. How do I subdivide a property?
4. What and where are flood plains?
5. What are setbacks?
6. What is a Conditional Use?
7. What is a right-of-way?
8. What is a variance?
9. What is an easement?
10. When do I need a building permit?
11. Yard signs? Political signs?