When do I need a building permit?

A building permit is required for the following: Shed over 100 square feet, inground pool, above-ground pool, hot tub (see above-ground pool requirements), covered patio/deck, enclosed/covered porch, open deck, covered deck, fence, shed/barn, retaining wall between 4 feet and 6 feet, detached garage, addition/renovations, new residential single-family dwelling, temporary structures, waterproofing/French drain, and new driveway.

Permits are also required for multi-family dwellings, additions/renovations, satellite dishes over 37 inches, towers, signs, commercial building, commercial additions/renovations, demolition residential/commercial. Please call the building department at 412-364-0616, ext. 128, for permit requirements.

For more information, please review the various building form applications and permit requirements for your project on our Building Permits, Applications and Forms page.

Show All Answers

1. Am I allowed to keep chickens?
2. How do I know what my property is zoned?
3. How do I subdivide a property?
4. What and where are flood plains?
5. What are setbacks?
6. What is a Conditional Use?
7. What is a right-of-way?
8. What is a variance?
9. What is an easement?
10. When do I need a building permit?
11. Yard signs? Political signs?