Anyone remember the Wexford Starlight Theatre? It operated from 1950 to August 31, 1989, and was located just a little bit north of McCandless in Pine Township (right where North Way Christian Church is today). This photo was taken shortly before the drive-in theater closed.
Ingomar Elementary used to look like this. It was built in 1910, and was a good old-fashioned one-room schoolhouse. It was added onto over the next few decades before being destroyed in a fire in 1960. The current Ingomar Elementary School subsequently was built on the same site.
This 1961 aerial photo shows the Milbert Farm. This site became the home of St. Alexis Church. The new church building held its first Mass in 1962.
Yes, Northway Mall used to look like this. It opened as a strip mall in 1953, and was reconfigured into an indoor mall in 1962 — making it the first indoor mall in this part of the state. The Woolworths that appears in the picture apparently lasted until the very early 1990s.
Construction on North Park pool as it took place October 1, 1936. The pool opened in summer 1937.
Aerial view of construction on North Allegheny High School as shown here in 1973. The building cost more than $10 million.
This photo shows construction of the McKnight Road interchange with (and the bridge over) Babcock Boulevard in 1946, a little bit south of McCandless in Ross Township.
This undated photo from a snowy day during the first half of the 20th century shows Ken’s Kabin, which was supposedly sort of an early version of a convenience store that was located at the corner of Route 19 and Ingomar Road. It was, in fact, owned by someone named Ken — Ken Smithman. Although not a lot of written information appears to exist about this business, we can infer that alliteration may have been popular during the time it operated.
This photo shows the high water caused by Hurricane Ivan on September 17, 2004.