When do I need a building permit?

A building permit is required for the following: Shed over 100 square feet, inground pool, above-ground pool, hot tub (see above-ground pool requirements), covered patio/deck, enclosed/covered porch, open deck, covered deck, fence, shed/barn, retaining wall between 4 feet and 6 feet, detached garage, addition/renovations, new residential single-family dwelling, temporary structures, waterproofing/french drain, new driveway.

Permits are also required for multi-family dwellings, additions/renovations, satellite dishes over 37 inches, towers, signs, commercial building, commercial additions/renovations, demolition residential/commercial. Please call the building department at 412-364-0616, ext. 128, for permit requirements.

For more information, please review the various building form applications and permit requirements for your project.