Any resident who questions whether a vendor has a permit should contact a representative of the police department. The police department administration can be reached at 412-369-7992, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. The police can also be reached through Allegheny County Police Dispatch at 412-473-3056 or by dialing 911.
Below are the attached documents: Authorization for Release or Personal Information Agreement; Consent & Disclosure Form; Ordinance 1450–Transient Vendor & Solicitation, which governs these individuals; and Transient Vendor/Solicitation Permit. The Transient Vendor/Solicitation Permit must be completed in its entirety (all questions must be answered) and submitted to the police department for approval. Incomplete applications cannot be processed and will be returned to the applicant. The Authorization for Release and Consent & Disclosure forms must be signed and dated and returned to the police department as well.
When filing for a transient vendor license, the following information must be provided:
- The name and physical description of the applicant
- The complete permanent home and full local address of the applicant and, in the case of transient merchants and itinerant vendors, the local address from which proposed sales will be made
- A brief description of the nature of the business and the goods to be sold
- If employed, the name and address of the employer, the name and address of the employee's immediate supervisor, together with credentials establishing the exact employment relationship
- The length of time for which the right to do business is desired
- If a vehicle is to be used, a description of the same, together with the license plate number or other means of identification
- The source of supply of the goods or property proposed to be sold or orders taken for the sale thereof and the proposed method of delivery
- Two photographs of the applicant, approximately one inch by one inch, showing the head and shoulders of the applicant in a clear and distinguishing manner
- A valid state or federal photographic identification, such as a valid state driver license or passport
- The completed permit application
- An Authorization for Release form
- A Consent & Disclosure form
The nonrefundable fee for each license application is $100, to cover the cost of processing the application, plus $25 for each vendor associated with the applicant, plus the prescribed fee for any background check conducted by the chief of police.
It is advised that vendors turn in their application at least 10 days in advance of when they need the license.