At Your Door HHW and E-Waste Collection
The At Your Door HHW and E-Waste Special Collection program allows residents to easily dispose of these often difficult-to-recycle items.
How to Participate
First, you have to schedule your collection. There are three ways to do this:
- Visit the Waste Management At Your Door website.
- Call 1-800-449-7587 (Monday through Friday 8 am to 8 pm)
- E-mail Waste Management
The call center operators will guide you through the steps toward a safe and successful collection. You will be asked several questions, including your address and the type and amount of materials available for the pickup. You will be provided a convenient collection date and information about where to place the kit for collection. A kit will be sent to your home in plenty of time for you to gather and pack your materials.
Preparing for Collection
The collection kit includes an instruction sheet and other items to help pack and secure your household generated special materials. Please read the instruction sheet included in the kit.
On the Day of Collection
On the scheduled date, the customer service technician will collect materials directly from your home. They will sort and pack the materials for proper transportation, recycling and disposal. Participants will receive a postage-paid survey card to complete and mail back to help track the program.
Acceptable and Unacceptable Materials for Collection
Most acceptable materials for the collection must be placed inside the collection kit. These materials include:
- Automotive products (antifreeze, brake fluid, cleaner, hydraulic fluid, transmission fluid, motor oil, oil filter, polish, wax, gasoline, diesel fuel),
- Paint products (latex, oil-based, thinners, artist's paint, spray paint, stain, sealer, caulk),
- Household cleaners (ammonia, cleaning compounds, floor stripper, drain cleaner, tile/shower cleaner, rust remover),
- Flammable and combustible materials (kerosene, solvent, certain cleaners),
- Swimming pool chemicals (pool acid, chlorine liquid and chlorine tablets),
- Garden chemicals (insect sprays, weed killers, herbicide, fertilizer, pesticides) and
- Miscellaneous household items such as batteries and hobby glue.
Some materials will be accepted outside of the kit. These include:
- Microwave ovens,
- Vehicle batteries (up to 4),
- Fluorescent tubes and CFLs (up to 10, placed inside their original sheaths or taped together),
- Televisions (one at a time),
- One computer system (one each of the following: CPU/tower, monitor, keyboard, mouse, desktop printer),
- Electronics with circuit boards up to 25 pounds (CD rom, VCRs, cell phones, DVD/CD/tape players, related cords).
Materials that are unacceptable for the collection include:
- Items that are not properly packaged,
- Biological waste,
- Construction materials,
- Smoke detectors,
- Unknown materials,
- Pressurized cylinders,
- Leaking containers,
- Items in containers over 5 gallons,
- Commercial products,
- Empty containers,
- Radioactive materials,
- Fire extinguishers,
- Unlabeled containers,
- Business supplies from homes,
- Trash (including bulky items).
If you have questions about proper disposal methods for unacceptable items, contact the call center at 1-800-449-7587.
Got More Stuff? Don't Worry!
This service is available year round, and the cost is included in your regular trash bill. If you have more stuff, just schedule another collection. Small quantities may be combined with your neighbors. Call center representatives are available from Monday through Friday 8 am to 8 pm at 1-800-449-7587. Leave a message after hours, on weekends and holidays. E-mail the Waste Management Call Center.